Happy 100th Anniversary of Japanese Animated Film !
Now showing early Japanese animations from the collection of National Film Center, Tokyo.
Please tell us what you think about this website by filling out a short questionnaire.
- Unauthorized copying and replication of the contents on this site are prohibited.
The Japanese Animated Film Classics team sends its deepest condolences to those affected by the arson attack at Kyoto Animation's Studio 1 on July 18, 2019. Our hearts go out to the families and loved ones of the victims, and we pray for the quick recovery of those who suffered injuries.
- [Site Maintenance] This site will be not available because of data center maintenance on January 20, 2019, 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.. Thank you for your understanding.
- [Publicity] NFC, operating this site, was reorganized as National Film Archive of Japan on April 1st, 2018. For more details about this site, please see the following page. (in Japanese)
- [Site Update] We are pleased to announce that all the works are available again since we have finished the coordination of them. Thank you for your support.
- [Site Update] We posted "Various rankings" "Characters selection" "Experts' choice" on English site.
- [Site Maintenance] This site will be not available because of data center maintenance on January 21, 2018, 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.. Thank you for your understanding.
- [Site Update] This website was planned to be operated until the end of 2017 on a trial basis, but we decided to continue this website in response to the popularity. In accordance with the continuation, some of the works are not available for they are under the coordination. For more details, please check here.(Japanese only)
- [Site Update] We added some information about the works and the authors.
- [Site Update] We posted new contents in Japanese. The English pages will be available in a month. Thank you for your patience.
- [Publicity] We opened a new Twitter account.
- [Event] Report on Annecy Classics: 100 Years of Japanese Animation
- [Event] 17th Japanese Film Festival Nippon Connection Screening Report on Films Presented at the 100th Anniversary of Japanese Animation
- [Site Update] We have changed the title "Urashima Taro" to "Urashima Taro (supposed title)", that was conventionally believed to be a work by Seitaro Kitayama in Nikkatsu and released in 1918. Please check the "Additional Notes" in the page for more infomation.
- [Site Update] We posted "FAQ about the films" that summarizes the answers to frequently asked questions about the films on this site.
- [Site Update] Frequently asked questions and answers about our website and streaming videos have published.
- [Site Update] English pages are now available.
- [Research Note] 本サイトで現在公開を行っている作品の一つ『浦島太郎[デジタル復元版][白黒ポジ染色版]』について、従来、北山清太郎による作品と考えられていた本作が、別の作家による作品であることが新たな研究により明らかとなりました。現在、本サイトの掲載内容の変更等、調整を行っております。
- [Site Update] The page "To the press" have published.
- [Publicity] 日本動画協会「アニメNEXT100」、「服部正WEB資料館」にて本サイトをご紹介いただきました。「服部正WEB資料館」では、『あひる陸戦隊』と『アリチャン』の作曲家である服部正氏直筆の楽譜もご覧いただけます。
- The English website of "Japanese Animated Film Classics" will be available in a month or two. Thank you for your patience.
- 祝100周年！日本アニメーション映画の誕生～草創期に光をあてる「日本アニメーション映画クラシックス」ウェブサイトが完成しました！現存する最も初期のアニメーション映画『なまくら刀』（1917年公開）をはじめ、 戦前に製作・上映された64作品を公開しています。